The convention center opens for business.Here in the Twin Cities, where the GOP convention is ramping up (as Hurricane Gustav ramps down), the hot topics around here are:
- Hurricane Gustav (glad it wasn't as bad as they thought it could've been, but were the warnings overblown?)
- Will John McCain, now that Gustav is dying, come to St. Paul for a live speech?
- The announcement that Sarah Palin's 17 year-old daughter is "with child."
- Protesters outside the convention, including several hundred "anarchists" who are roaming about the city, doing relatively minor damage here and there.
- The scheduled speeches tonight by Laura Bush and Cindy McCain. (Word is they will be asking Americans to lend a hand -- and some extra money -- to those affected by the bad weather in the Gulf.)
- The humidity. (It's not Deep South humid, but even the locals are talking about it.)